8:00 am - 2:00pm
9:00 am - 8:00pm
5622 W Palmaire Ave Glendale, AZ 85301
Prenatal visits are performed in our exam room at The Birth Nest. We encourage you to bring family and/or friends as desired to be a part of this special time in your life.
Prenatal visits will be scheduled every 4 weeks until the 28th week of pregnancy, every 2 weeks until the 36th week, and every week thereafter until your baby is born. The visits typically last somewhere between 30 minutes and 1 hour. This allows for ample time to ask questions and discuss all aspects of prenatal care. Each visit is designed to address the physical, as well as emotional needs of both baby and mother. We recommend writing down your questions or thoughts that come up in between your visits to ensure we address everything you want to discuss.
While each visit will be different depending on your concerns at any given stage of your pregnancy, some routine procedures will be performed.
You can expect the following at each visit:
- Blood pressure and pulse are taken
- Urine is assessed
- The Fundal Height will be measured
- Fetal heart rate is taken with a fetoscope and if desired, a doppler
Ongoing education about procedure and testing options is available and encouraged. Making educated decisions is very important, and emphasis is placed on giving you as much information as possible about all your prenatal and postpartum options so you can make the best possible choices for you and your growing family.
In addition to the previously mentioned routine procedures, some other topics and procedures that will be discussed are:
- Nutritional counseling: Making great nutritional choices is one of the easiest things a mother can do to help promote a healthy pregnancy. Therefore, nutritional counseling is an important component of your prenatal care and is discussed at length during prenatal visits.
- Laboratory testing: All standard laboratory testing is available/offered. All other laboratory testing that is needed or wanted can be easily obtained by referral.
- Ultrasound: If an ultrasound is medically warranted or personally desired, it can be easily ordered.
Physician Consultation/Transfer of Care: We have an OB/GYN on staff for midwife consultations, and are able to transfer care to a physician or CNM if needed, warranted or desired at any time during the pregnancy, labor, delivery or Postpartum/Newborn period.